[at-l] Raleigh/Cary NC info wanted...

Hi all,

I'm being sent to NC for a class (business) in a couple of weeks and I'm
wondering if I should plan to incorporate the weekends on either side of the
business portion of the trip for some local wanderings.

Can anyone enlighten me as to potential areas to explore or avoid? Chances
are I'll have a rental car.  Most time I would have would be a three day
weekend before the class and maybe a day or so afterwards.

I need to get some hiking in at least one of those weekends so if there's
any in the Cary/Raleigh area of NC, that would make for a nice change of
venue rather than rushing home to hike in the familiar territory of the
northeast.

Thanks for any information you can pass along.

Mara