Re[2]: [at-l] Grand Unification Theory - WAS:Survival was Trail Etiquette

"...I  find  the  the  idea  of  american  urban  hiking  &  camping at least as
provocative  and challenging as woodland or desert hiking and camping ... all of
which may explain a little about my somewhat cynical or ascerbic attitude to the
controversies  here  over  windmills,  cell  phones,  and  umbrellas..."  argues
Quoleldil.

I can't address the wonders of urban camping, though in the 40s and early 50s my
city  experiences  approached  "camping."  but  the Appalachian Trail provides a
variety  of landscapes, from the high wooded, ridges of Georgia and tbe Smokies,
the  farm  landscapes  of  the  middle  Atlantic,  the miles of above timberline
adventure through the Whites.... Maine has it's own special attributes. No place
else along the trail are there fewer intrusions of civilization.

I  guess  the question to be answered is whether it's important to maintain this
diverse  trail experience or allow Maine to gradually become just like the trail
in more developed sections to the south. Personally, I enjoyed all of the trail,
the   diversity   of  landscapes  most  of  all.  But  just  because  I  enjoyed
Pennsylvania, doesn't mean that I would prefer the entire trail become more like
Pennsylvania.  Just  because  I enjoyed visiting communities, and businesses and
the human landscape along the trail, somehow doesn't persuade me that more would
improve the trail.

AS  attentive listers know, my vote is to preserve as much of the Maine wildness
as  possible.  That's  why  I  devote a lot of my time to forming a new MAT Land
Trust and in opposing 29 460-foot tall wind turbines to be located as close as a
thousand yards from the AT foot path. YMMV

Weary