[at-l] Grand Unification Theory

<<Even experienced hikers and outdoorsmen take time to adapt back
and forth between the wilds and the city>>

Hmm, I never tried to put it this way in talking with my non-hiking
co-workers, but for me it's why real vacations start at a minimum of three
weeks. Not only is there the process of adapting to the wilds, there is
also a process of mentally leaving all the city baggage behind. Sometimes
this works better than others, when I hit the Colorado Trail I managed to
leave the city behind with the first step. I still had to adjust into the
wilds, but at least I didn't have to do it while adjusting out of the city.

To put life in perspective, we had layoffs here yesterday. Last night I
attended the funeral of a fellow co-worker, the man who patiently taught me
the skills for the job I hold now, a dedicated bicyclist who died when he
crashed his bike, doing what he loved. I won't write an eulogy for him, but
it sure puts the layoffs and such in a different light.

skeeter