[at-l] Re: Why the Grand Unification Theory - isn't

This is a familiar thread that is likely to say as much about the
participants as it might of our culture. I suspect that among through
hikers, African-Americans are less commonly represented than other
minorities. I have seen many hikers of diverse ethnic groups.

I suspect that as much as some of us are frightened of "dueling
banjoes," there are more significant worries about safety and
acceptance by minorities. If it is too common to get arrested for
"driving while Black," I'd expect even more hesitancy to hitch hike
rural roads. I also suspect there is valid priority judgements whether
a thru hike is energy and effort that might be better invested
elsewhere.

This is all the more reason to use opportunities like HATT to introduce
new hikers to our trails.

Bill...