[at-l] RE: Why the Grand Unification Theory - isn't

> Without trying to incite or otherwise detract from this fine
> discussion...

<FALSE BRAVADO>

How dare you disagree with me!  Don't you know who you are dealing with!?!

</FALSE BRAVADO>

:)

> and with which I'm inclined in many respects to agree, I'd like
> to suggest that the described
> experience of the outdoors is far from universal or grandly
> unified, and limited solely to some of
> the developed world's urban populations

> Most of the human population in this world cannot comprehend why
> we would want to leave our technologically advanced lives...

You are absolutely correct.  The Grand Unification Theory only works for the
technologically depraved - those who are separated from the natural world.

Those who live in the natural world naturally crave our comforts, but if you
give them our lifestyle, they will eventually desire a return to their
natural habitat.

Let's say we took a naked Bushman out of the heat of the summer, and put him
up at the Waldorf Astoria.  Fine food, comfortable beds, running water,
swimming pool, fine shopping, TV, AC, and all the lavish luxuries of modern
society.  He would be in heaven.  Everything he could ever want handed to
him without pause or problem.  He doesn't have to hunt, fish, gather food,
search for water, or go through the trouble of starting a fire.  He would
settle into this life quite comfortably for quite a while.

But then what?  The novelty wears off.  Slowly, he would begin to desire
going outside - and eventually he would want to escape into the wild, if
only for a little while.

Having lived in both worlds, I personally find that each has its benefits
and its drawbacks, and that when I am in one I desire the other in some way.
When in the city, I start to have a longing for the wilds.  When in the
wilds, I start to have a longing for a cheese burger and some fries...

Eventually, though, some people become dead to these desires.  We all know
somebody who wouldn't be caught dead in the woods.  There are also a few
people who have given up on city life entirely and have 'gone native'.

Shane