[at-l] Survival was Trail Etiquette

> I'd like to add a few things to what Shane had to say:
>
> 1.  Learn how to recognize and treat shock in other and
> yourself.
> 2.  Learn how to apply a pressure dressing and dress wounds.
> 3.  Learn how to treat and recognize head injuries.

Yeah, I figured it went without saying, but I'm glad you said it.

> not out doing a long trek), make sure the people you're with
> know where your first aid kit is and the key to your car.  Anytime
> I go into the woods with someone I make sure I tell them where my
> keys are in my pack or where I've stashed them on my vehicle.

This is so automatic for me that I didn't even think about it, but it is
very important.  You don't want to be unconscious and bleeding to death
while your friends are going, "Now where are his keys?"

Whenever I am hiking with other people I make everybody go through a little
drill.  "This is where my money, ID, insurance card, keys, knife...and other
pieces of important gear...are located."  Everybody gives an emergency phone
number, and we all write them down in our log books.

I've never had an instance where this was actually needed, but it takes ten
minutes and might save a life.

Shane