[at-l] Underware on the trail.

Boxers do not prevent chafing for me; briefs do prevent chafing.

However, I much prefer to hike without underwear; cooler and less
stench. And, I generally hike in shorts or pants without a liner.

This year I tried Bodyglide to pervent chafing. It did not work for me.

My sections on the AT were without underwear. I used Tinactin foot
powder whenever I had a bout of chafing. It provided immediate relief
whenever chafing started. Liberal applications in the affected area
three times a day for a couple of days and the problem would disappear
for several weeks.

This year on some short CDT section hikes I have been using an
anti-fungal cream. The active ingredient is clotrimazole, 1%. This is
available off the shelf. Again, immediate relief and applications three
times a day for a couple of days. (I am too lazy do do the full two week
treatment.)

The advantage of the cream is a significant weight savings; 1 oz for the
cream vs about 8 oz for the powder and a much larger volume savings.

My chafing problems seem to be related to jock itch, apparently a
relative of athletes foot. Some consideration might be given to
preventive treatment in advance or at the beginning of the hike.

Each person needs to determine what specifically works for them.

Have a good hike.

Allen