Confusion on Chaffing: Re: [at-l] Another reason not to wearunderwear!

 -----Original Message-----
From: rick boudrie

I am a bit confused on this chaffing thing,  I understand how bike
shorts
can help for your legs and everything up front, but how about at the
other
end?  Is everyone talking about the same kind of chaffing?

***Chafing can happen where there's a skin-skin or skin-fabric rub. The kind
you're talking about is what Canadians delicately call "the hoop," I
think...

And why is this usually considered a male issue? More hair? More
perspiration?  When it comes to the chafing between the cheeks, I would
have
figured that was an equal opportunity ailment.

***Here's my theory on it. YMMV. I've seen men who sweat beyond profusely.
Anatomy seems to funnel the sweat down the spinal column to the waist and
points farther south. *I think* the lack of underwear or other absorbent
clothing (T-shirts, shorts) on many male hikers exacerbates the situation,
because all that salty, stingy sweat has no where to go but down to those
delicate mucous membranes. When I've run across suffering men on the trail,
I've suggested frequent washing, underwear, and putting T-shirts back on.
(Disclaimer: I'm not THAT type of doctor.)

Just a little food for though-
Chocolate