[at-l] Manchester Center/Kinsman Notch Information

Papa Bear,

I did both Dalton to Manchester Center and Manchester Center to Sherburne
Pass in 2000.  Did Sherburne to Kinsman last year.

When we finished in Manchester, stayed at Sutton Place (nice place) and had
breakfast at Up For Breakfast.  Good food and good company with none other
than our own Cosmo.  Did Dalton to Manchester in May I believe, and the head
net was very useful when you were stopped - didn't need it while hiking.

If I remember correctly, when we started back out at Manchester Center there
was a ski patrol hut just a few miles up on the trail.  It was enclosed.
When you go down through Clarendon Gorge be sure and eat at the Whistle Stop
down the road to the left about a half mile or so.  We ate like pigs there
and then got a sandwich and chocolate chip cookie to go for supper.  We
stayed at Clarendon Shelter, which was fine, and didn't stay at Governor
Clement.  You could see the party remnants there, but I have no first hand
knowledge of problems.  Be sure and take the side trail to the summit of
Killington just before Sherburne Pass.  It's not far, maybe 0.3mi, and the
views are worth the rock scramble.  The food at the Inn is pretty good and,
amazingly enough, shared a bite to eat with Mr. Catalano of list fame.

When we started back at Sherburne Pass this past October, we flew into
Boston and took Dartmouth Coach to Hanover and got a shuttle from there to
Sherburne.  It was getting late, but we hit the trail over to Gifford Woods
State Park and rented a shelter there, much cheaper than the Inn.  We stayed
at The Lookout on our hike, and it was one of the high points.  Found out
about it reading a journal, one of my favorite sources of hiking information
when preparing for a section.  It was a perfect, clear night and the stars
were fantastic.  Sandwiches at Teago Country Store in South Pomfret were
great.  Stayed at the Norwich Inn in Norwich, not Hanover, in the motel out
back.  There is a free shuttle bus into Hanover.  Stayed in Hanover late and
walked back.

Stayed at Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff.  Nice folks.  The hike over
Moosilauke was really neat, going above treeline, getting hammered by the
wind, and picking our way back down.  A hitch back into North Woodstock at
Kinsman was not a problem.  Pardon the volume, but DO NOT stay at the
Lincoln Motel in Lincoln.  It's the closest place to the bus stop (still a
good walk), but it is dirty and incredibly overpriced.  When we go back next
month, we plan on staying at Cascade Lodge in North Woodstock.  Haven't
stayed there, but journals show no problems there or Woodstock Inn.  The
local taxi service is the Hiker Shuttle Connection.  They were cheap and
dependable.  A ride from North Woodstock to the trailhead is probably about
$5, and about the same from North Woodstock to the bus stop in Lincoln (a
convenience store that has a little breakfast shop in it).

Bus service from Boston is to Lincoln (about 3-4 miles from N. Woodstock) on
Concord Trailways  http://www.concordtrailways.com/concord_trailways.htm.
They have one bus each way a day.  Southbound leaves Lincoln at 7:25a.m. and
hits Logan at 10:50a.m.  About $35-40.  If your schedule holds they also
have a Fri/Sat/Sun run from Plymouth (south of Lincoln) at 2pm arriving
Logan 5pm you could do in a pinch perhaps with help from Hiker Shuttle
Connection.

I wish you well on your hike.  Looking forward to a trip report, and this
sectioneer always likes a review of the to-and-from trail logistics.

Take Care,

Tim

Message: 58