[at-l] Black Flies

In a message dated 5/31/02 10:56:11 AM, KAB@concordia-ny.edu writes:

<< >  Also, this is one of the worst black fly seasons ever.  I went
> home to New Hampshire this weekend and I got eaten alive almost in
> the matter of a few minutes.  Since he is going to be in a section
> of trail that isn't cut very well, he should probably bring some
> bug screens or something to cover his face.

Any comments from you folks?  >>

I brought some students from my Outing Club hiking this weekend on Franconia
Ridge in the Whites of New Hampshire.  The ridge was free o black flies
because of the 50 mph winds and 40 degree temps.  But as we descended into
Franconia Notch the bug activity increased with a very active population of
black flies.  We left the parking lot after making our blood donations to the
critters and returned to my lakeside retreat wear we found no black flies but
a small hungry population of mosquitos.  Great Weekend, Great Hike, Great
Views, lots of hikers out there.  Still some snow and ice just below treeline.

                                            Art