[at-l] Underware on the trail.

I can raise my hand and testify to knowledge of why this is an
important question. The problem is chafing, or the result of friction
on skin that is thin as well as damp and dark. This skin is easily
rubbed the wrong way, and can get superficially infected and very
inflammed pretty quickly. The goal is to prevent it, or if it occurs,
to make it possible to walk without waddling with your legs spread
akimbo.

Treatment includes a number of oils and lotions, including your
sunscreen, lip balm and others. Farm products such as bag balm and
udder cream are popular. I've carried diaper creme and find it well
accepted by other hikers with the mistaken self diagnosis of poison ivy
from toileting in the woods.

Prevention: Boxers are good in that they take the friction and disperse
it over a larger area. They can be non-cool if the hem of the skivies
is nylon or other rough edge creating material. Patagonia boxers are
expensive and well known for this failing.

Briefs as in "whitey-tighties" are not good, in that they don't do
anything for the thighs.

A blend between boxers and briefs is common and very comfy if chafing
has started. Biking shorts work here, but may have more padding for
your need in hiking. The common garment is stretch skivies, usually
made of poly, often lined with Coolmax or similar, and a bit of Lycra
or Spandex included. These adhere to your skin, take the friction, and
could be compared to liner socks to prevent blisters. Capilenes
typically work the same way, but do get warm.

There is an option in wearing no underwear, and I suspect a very large
percentage of guys do this. Assuming baggy pants and little friction
opportunity, this can work. Others use swimming trunks or similar
exercise shorts for similar reason, although if the elastic in the
liner goes, chafing may result.

If you have managed to walk more than a few days without experiencing
this, you are a fortunate fellow indeed.

The material is still worth consideration. Poly, silk and other wicking
and nonabsorbant fabrics are a good idea. Cotton is hard to avoid, and
hard to get dry. While current weather suggests it should not be a
problem, the folks at the Wilderness Medicine Institute commented that
most of their hypothermia cases included folks with cotton underwear.
That may really indicate that most hypothermia cases are ill-prepared
city slickers, but it may indicate some validity in the oft touted line
that "cotton kills." Yet, this was the standard issue for many years.

Bill...