[at-l] MAY PLEDGE TOTALS UPDATE: Keep the List Friendly(AT-L/ATC fundraiser)

At 12:37 PM 5/31/2002 -0500, Shane wrote:

>Having said that, I did receive many emails by people who didn't like the
>pledge drive, the idea of the pledge drive, and either felt alienated or
>felt that other people were being alienated.

So how come we never heard a word about that until just now
(or rather, until I started griping about it yesterday?)

Or does it demonstrate exactly the effect I was worried about --
ie., people were too cowed to speak their minds?

IMHO, it was all quite well intentioned, and even did some good,
both for the ATC and the list.  But there are negative side effects
that nobody was willing to acknowledge -- not publicly, anyway.

I'll take healthy, open dissent over coerced unanimity, any day.

rafe b.
aka terrapin