[at-l] Trail Ettiquite was Technology....And IntrusiveDiscourtesy

At 03:38 PM 5/29/2002 -0400, Anna wrote:

>As a long time section hiker, I have always tried to be very courteous not
>only to other hikers but to the trail in general.  However, I sometimes
>wonder about the unwritten rules of courtesy.  For instance, leaving the
>shelters for thru or long distance hikers.

Not.

>It makes sense to me that a lot
>of people wouldn't have any way to know this if they were just out for the
>occassional overnight.
>        So my question is, what do you guys consider good trail ettiquitte?
>Enquiring minds really want to know!! *S*  Anna

As to the shelters, my understanding is it's first-come, first-served.

There are no preferences given to thru hikers, section hikers, or any
other kinds of hikers.

Common courtesy is the rule.  It's not rocket science.  When the
weather is bad, courtesy dictates that you make room in the shelter,
for those who need it, if at all possible.

Six million people set foot on the AT every year (and that's an old
statistic.)  A few thousand thru-hiker wannabes start each year,
and a few hundred actually make it.  That tiny minority does NOT
have any rights that the other 5,995,000 visitors have.

rafe b.
aka terrapin