[at-l] ATC Pledges (Warning: Highly Inflammatory)

>The purpose of this forum is discussion, not charity.-- rafe

Indeed.  The donation thing was simply a good tool to get people to stop and
think about what they were posting before getting caught up in the heat of
the moment.

Sometimes thats easy to do.  One poster just said that the windmills didn't
matter much because they were in Yankee territory, for example.  My first
reaction was to send something off about that person being such an
inflamatory idiot.  Then I paused and figured out he was just trying to be
funny.  And you know what, he was.  Even if he didn't put a simily face.
;-).  I'm not sure, but I think the donation program may have influenced the
amount of time I took to reply.  Too often on a list like this, I type
faster than I am thinking.

As for charity, everyone has to make his own decisions about that.  Jim Owen
asked what he should do with his money, and I resisted the temtation to
offer my suggestion.  I am glad I did because it seem like he found a better
place to put it than what I was thinking.  (Yes, there is ment to be some
vieled humor and commentary in there).  Point is, those are important and
personal decisions, IMO.  If one really wants to leverage the AT-L donation
program to help shape the tone of the list, it can be done far more gently
and effectively than by getting up on a soap box and shouting. I applaud
Chainsaw in his attempt to effect such a change in tone, in the way he did.
I could have worked had everyone listened...

While some of the discussion of the ESA did seem off topic to hiking and the
Trail and bordering on political bombast, that wasn't the source of the
anger behind some of the more stidant pronouncements, IMO.  Don't take them
personally. It had to do with personalities.

Whoever wrote those two lines about giving and getting respect was right on
target.

Rick Boudrie