[at-l] ATC Pledges (Warning: Highly Inflammatory)

At 03:13 AM 5/31/2002 -0600, Ron Martino wrote:

>         Rafe, what are you talking about? No one is attempting 'buy your
>silence'. All that is requested is that people behave maturely, just as
>/you/ tell people to above.
>
>         If folks comply and return to a civilized discussion, then certain
>individuals will donate money to the ATC. There are no other
>stipulations beyond that.

I'm talking about a spate of posts scolding the entire list
for its allegedly poor behavior, laying on heavy guilt for the
fact that the ATC will now lose $X or $Y because of someone's
poor choice of words, or someone else's testy tone of voice.

Those making the accusation are too polite to name names,
(they're too bound by "niceness" to do that,) so they spread the
guilt around the whole group.  I can't help but take it personally.

Sorry, but I have my own personal standards of behavior,
and that's that.  This constant scolding and prodding gets on
my nerves.  I'm not here to have my behavior judged by Jim,
Chainsaw, or anyone else.

This is not an environment that encourages free exchange of
thoughts.  The purpose of this forum is discussion, not charity.
IMHO, the follow-on pledges are having a stifling effect on
the discussion, and I for one will ignore them.

rafe b.
aka terrapin