[at-l] Surivival was Trail Etiquette

In a message dated 5/30/02 5:55:41 PM, shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:

<< I see the grin, but it's a true and serious statement.  A few newbies die
every year, and mostly from being ignorant or ill-prepared to face the
conditions they meet. >>

You know, in all seriousness, this is actually a great concern of mine.  I
have armed myself with reams of book knowlege on hiking safely, but my
greatest fear is that I will be one of those people that park rangers talk
about over beer and roll their eyes at!  I don't think you can know how you
will react to a back country emergency until it happens, and I sometimes
wonder if all my reading is going to be enough!
    Also, in concern to your statement about people that can not handle being
in the woods alone, I have read that a lot of people that get lost in the
woods actually die or are seriously injured due to shock or panic.  Any SAR
folks out there?  Is that true?
All in all, I think it is definitely a topic worth digging into!
    And I would love to know what kind of advice all of you seriously
seasoned hikers would give someone new to the sport in terms of personal
safety and preparedness.  After reading all the books and learning to read
the maps, isn't there a point where you just have to go out and do it?  And
isn't there a really big difference between book knowlege and the knowlege
that only comes after doing it for years?  What is a person to do between?
All of my practical knowlege gained by hiking has been gained alone since I
rarely have hiking partners.  I would be willing to bet that there are some
pretty big holes in my knowlege!!!  Anna