[at-l] Trail Etiquette

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Neal" <nealb@midlandstech.com>
Subject: RE: [at-l] Trail Etiquette

> As to shelters:
> The shelters were originally meant for non-tent hikers.  Else, why build
> shelters for people who carry tents?  Why carry a tent if you mean to use
> the shelters?  Since some people don't carry tents (for various good and
bad
> reasons), the shelters should be for them and for those who have a
"special"
> reason for "sheltering" -- I had a cold one time, and I stayed in the
> shelter because I did not have the strength to pitch a tent.  Hell I
> couldn't even cook anything.  But, some "good" people shared, and a couple
> of good guys who made it to the shelter first moved out to where they
> tented.  I've done the same.  Shelters should be for those who for one
> reason or the other have a greater need.
> William the Turtle

I would point out that myself and many others use Shelters primarily for
rain shelters.  I carry a tent and prefer it (softer, warmer, no bug
problem) EXCEPT when it's raining.  Yes of course imy tent is waterproof,
but I just prefer cooking, packing, unpacking, etc. under a roof.  When
using a tent after a rainy night, everything in the pack seems to go in wet.

Of course my luck is such that on every rainy night I'm at a campsite with
no shelter anyway.

The other thing, somewhat related, is that I have tried to schedule my
section hikes so as to avoid the mass of thru-hikers.  It's not that I'm
anti-social, it's just easier without the crowds, and I like the solitude as
well.

Pb