[at-l] Trail Etiquette

As to privacy:
I don't believe it's so much a "Privacy" issue as it is a way of spreading
the amount of "potential damage" over a wider area.  Put X amount of people
in an area, say, 10 feet square, and you get X amount of damage.  Put X + X
amount of people in the same area, and you're liable to get not just X+X
amount of damage but X+X+Y -- sort of a synergestic effect.  Put X at one
site and the 2nd X at a site farther down the trail, and you only get 2 X
damage.  Also, spreading the people out over an section of the trail gives a
campsite time to recover.  If you want an analogy, imagine walking 1 mile
everyday of your life.  Now imagine walking 2,000 in 3 months.  If you're
50, you will have walked over 18,000 miles, but it won't be as stressful as
the 2,000 mile journey.

As to shelters:
The shelters were originally meant for non-tent hikers.  Else, why build
shelters for people who carry tents?  Why carry a tent if you mean to use
the shelters?  Since some people don't carry tents (for various good and bad
reasons), the shelters should be for them and for those who have a "special"
reason for "sheltering" -- I had a cold one time, and I stayed in the
shelter because I did not have the strength to pitch a tent.  Hell I
couldn't even cook anything.  But, some "good" people shared, and a couple
of good guys who made it to the shelter first moved out to where they
tented.  I've done the same.  Shelters should be for those who for one
reason or the other have a greater need.

Further, I would think that the original reasoning behind thru-hikers
getting preferential treatment was due to the fact that they had to put up
with a lot more and suffer a lot more than the average weekend camper.
Today, tents and equipment are better and lighter, and MORE people are
declaring themselves to be on a thru hike.  And more people who should have
stayed home and camped on the couch are out hiking.  So it's probably better
for the average thru-hiker to get away from the shelters.

William the Turtle