[at-l] Re: Huffily, Phluphphy Leigh, and Bass

I always thought, I mean I think someone told me once, so it wasn't like I made it up and that's why I thought it.  It was more like some one told me so that's why I thought it.... Anyway, 5th 3rd was because the first one was at the corner of 5th and 3rd streets.

-r
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rich, Timothy D.
  To: 'at-l@mailman.backcountry.net'
  Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 9:51 AM
  Subject: RE: [at-l] Re: Huffily, Phluphphy Leigh, and Bass

  Greetings,

  Fifth Third is a different name, but many years ago banks had no qualms
  about being a "Second National Bank" as opposed to "First National Bank".  I
  believe Fifth Third came from a merger of "Third National" and "Fifth
  National" in sin-sin-gnatty.

  Are your powers of observation a product of environment or genetics, oh
  double-felix one?

  Tim

  --__--__--

  a friend of Tim Rich used to say:

  >  "If you're gonna drink a fifth on the
  > Fourth, you better buy it on the third".

  This reminds me of one of the worst-named banks I've ever seen...The Fifth
  Third
  Bank. Now, what kinda bonehead head name is that?

  > Melon Collie, Oh Felixir of happy thoughts.

  Since we were talking about Phluphphy Leigh, wouldn't it be 'hoppy'
  thoughts?
  Or, 'hoppy thaw its'? I's just wunnerin'...that's all...