[at-l] Trail Ettiquite was Technology....And IntrusiveDiscourtesy

If you have a feeling that the situation is not "welcoming", you ought to
listen to that message and walk further. In general, there should be no
sense that a campsite is private property when there is plenty of room and
light is dimming. Safety is part of the equation, and your street smarts
can save you trouble even if it results in a little night walking.

I've not seen the rule that shelters are for long-distance hikers. That was
once the general rule of a implied reservation of a certain number of spots
per shelter in the Smokies, but more recent years, long distant hikers are
encouraged to camp and allow weekenders and newbies the shelter, assuming
it is full. The thought is this allows us to demonstrate good camping
techniques and to model etiquette. The rule is that large groups should not
impose themselves on the shelters, and should be prepared for camping. The
other rule is that the shelter is never full, especially when it is raining.

OrangeBug