[at-l] cell phones

In a message dated 5/29/2002 7:59:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rafe.bustin@verizon.net writes:

> The AT, by design, was laid along a heavily populated corridor
> in order to be accessible by the residents of the big cities that
> it passes by.  Those who designed and envisioned the trail
> didn't lay out lots of rules on what folks should do when they
> got there (to the trail, that is.)  They mostly hoped that the
> people would come.

     ***   Through my knowledge of AT literature, the above statement
bypasses most of MacKaye's thinking simply isn't accurate. In brief, there
are pages and pages of writings and letters between MacKaye and other
conservation contacts where he argues the mode of his Appalachian utopia. He
is very firmly clear in his desire to maintain as pure a wild nature
experience on the AT as possible. In fact some of his letters come to terse
terms in dealing with people who challenge his thinking for many reasons
similar to what we see here on AT-L. For this reason alone it is very
important to continue MacKaye's pursuit and make available just exactly what
he was trying to convey. The furthest contrast between urban existence and
wild mountains was what he sought. I wonder if many hikers realize that the
buzz they get from long distance hiking is the nature shock Benton planned?
The more shocking the better.

   It's really quite ingenious. The conflict we see here between Trail users
is exactly what MacKaye was trying to create in order make people think about
their dependency on technology and civilization and how that affected nature.
It is trying to get man to turn off the development/technology proliferation
impulse and just let nature exist as it is and learn from it. I feel this is
somewhat different than "just hoping people would come" and suspect that some
who would like to detour around a serious part of AT history are those who
probably carry cell phones and don't want to be reminded. I'm sorry, but I
can't help but see looking at the Trail that way as fighting its fundamental
philosophy instead of upholding it and participating in it...

     (Stay On Topic!)

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---