[at-l] Cell Phones in Baxter Park

"...The  cellphone  ban  in  Baxter  has nothing to do keeping the Park 'forever
wild'." claims TJ.

Who  knows  what lurks in the minds of bureaucrats, but the park has long banned
radios,  portable  TVs and large recreational vehicles at least when used by the
public. The paid staff works under different rules as TJ points out.

The  cell  phone  ban  is  in  line  with  other rules regarding electronic gear
requested  by  Gov. Baxter, who spent a lifetime buying and donating the park to
the  state.  I  know  the  trigger  for  the  new  emphasis  on cell phones as I
understand  it  was a hiker who tried to summon a helicopter to pick him up from
the summit or some such incident. I forget the details.

 But  no helicopter actually landed and none would have landed because Maine law
 imposes  stiff  penalties  for  aircraft  that  attempt  to land in the park. I
 suspect  there  are  safety  and rescue exceptions -- but nothing that would be
 triggered by a tired hiker making a cell phone call from the summit.

 I  share  much of TJs criticism of the park management, but in this instant the
 cell  phone ban is consistent with prior decisions designed to protect Governor
 Baxter's dream of creating a "forever wild" park.

 Now  if we could only convince the park staff to put away their electronic toys
 and  the  park  trail  crews to put aside their snowmobiles, and their gasoline
 saws and gasoline-powered rock drills ....

 Weary