[at-l] My sticks are stuck

I have an old set of Komperdell hiking sticks (four years plus) that I have carried from Springer to Port Clinton, PA.  One of them is stuck shut, and I have tried many different solutions to get it unstuck so it will telescope back out to a usable position.

My only solution thus far has been to give up on them and use the set of Lekis that I bought for my wife.  I am, however, a bit sentimentally attached to that old set of Komperdells, and would like some advice on making them usable again.   I haven't tried heating them over my Whisperlite stove yet because I'm afraid I will melt the plastic locking mechanism inside the pole.  Hot water hasn't freed them, and they don't seem to be responsive to twisting with a pair of ViseGrips, etc.  Any suggestions?