Re[2]: [at-l] [cps] - It's Not the [p], It's The Courtesy ThatMatters

At 12:21 AM 5/29/2002 -0400, Weary wrote:

>But  it  strikes  me  as both wrong, and perhaps silly, to argue that the
>use of
>[cps] doesn't damage the wildness that some go to the woods and mountains
>to experience.

Ah but you take it one step farther, Weary.  For you, it's
not enough that people hide their [cps] or carry on their [cp]
conversations away from the trail.  For you, the damage is done
and irreversible -- the mere knowledge that these things exist --
somewhere on the trail at a shelter near you -- disturbs you and
your sense of wildness.

I know what you mean, believe it or not.  The mere existence
of nuclear weapons makes my life less joyful, even if I've never
(thank god and knock wood) seen one of these deployed.
My life's been saddened by lots of things that I've not experienced
first hand.  The Holocaust comes to mind also.

Unfortunately (for me, anyway) abstract virtue can't offset the psychic
damage done by abstract evil.

rafe b.
aka terrapin