[at-l] Respect For AT Wildness Values

At 10:02 PM 05/27/2002 -0400, Bryan Kramer wrote:
>I never read any of the accounts you mention the one I did read was in
>Foxnews:
>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,31371,00.html
>
>Which applies less spin to make the forest service look fumbling but
>blameless, the fact is that whether the ESA blocked use of the water or
>not the Clinton era functionaries refused to save four men's lives
>rather than disturb some fish. I personally cannot imagine taking such
>an action, I'd like to think that I'd order the helicopters in even if
>it meant that I would be prosecuted for fishcide. A lot of
>environmentalist would prefer to save the fish.

"Fumbling" I understand from what I read but where did you get the
impression that anyone said "I'd rather see firefighters die than to
disturb the endangered fish" ?  At what point was the situation presented
to those making decisions as a matter of life or death of firefighters if
you don't proceed to take that water immediately?  I think you are
attributing an attitude to environmentalists that is not supported by the
facts.  People in charge made bad decisions because they didn't know the
gravity of the situation and/or they didn't know what the rules were.  It
was a tragedy of indecision by those in charge but it's cynical to suggest
that the outcome pleased anyone who supports preserving the environment.

sAunTerer