From: Shane Steinkamp [mailto:shane@theplacewithnoname.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 11:54 AM
To: Orange Bug; Raphael Bustin; at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: OT - Sharks RE: [at-l] Respect For AT Wildness Values

> Anyone else remember how big a crisis we had last summer with
> sharks down in Florida?

Which turned out to be no crisis at all, but only media hype.  Shark attacks
have remained relatively constant, just like other animal encounters.  FWIW,
jellyfish actually kill more people than sharks every year.

I used this example with Bob this weekend.  He's heard a lot of stories and
seen a lot of TV about animal 'attacks'.  I'd be terrified too if I watched
all that stuff.  He's especially concerned about snakes...

Shane