[at-l] Respect For AT Wildness Values

We need those purists just as long as they can keep their eye on
reality. When I was a member of the Sierra Club and involved in the Save
Our Suwannee effort the philosophy of the group was to ask for more
radical solutions than they expected to get. The idea was that the other
side would make it's own outré demands and both sides would meet at the
reasonable center ground. And it generally worked altho we didn't get
what we wanted.

But lately I think the environmentalists have forgot the meaning of
compromise, they actually have begun to press for the radical solution
and the public be damned. I don't think that they actually believe the
guff that they spout but they have made a cynical political decision to
try to ram the agenda through. They are wielding some big sticks like
the endangered species act and the result of it all may be a loss of
those sticks as the public becomes more disgusted with them.

None of this is meant to be pointed at Weary, once I started typing I
couldn't stop. We do need people who have a narrow vision of what is
happening to the Trail and I'm thankful that they have the energy and
commitment to keep it up.

Bryan