[at-l] Respect For AT Wildness Values

OB wrote:

> However, in the tone of supporting pagan wildness, I suggest that one
> more hiker goes out to sacrifice their cell phone on the altar of the
> Pure AT. Only then will the Anti-Cell Phone Gods be appeased.

    ***   In the Trail universe, there are those weary few who strive to keep
a constantly challenged Trail corridor a primitive and wild place as stated
in the ATC guidelines for the AT. There are many who seek to avoid that and
cast us hopeless hold outs for the Trail as extremists in dramatic, biblical
language in order to justify their own indifference to what some hold dear.
As Weary said before, it would indeed be a shame if those few voices who
stand for what little wildness remains were censored or ridiculed amongst the
Trail community (which purports to be open and in-tune with the Trail)
because they stood up for it. I really hope my humble Trail fellows would at
least step back and consider those seeking to keep the AT a wild place and
think about it, in any case, and not view it so drastically and punish those
who best represent good Trail stewards. At very least, the fundamental
pursuit of AT wildness must be permitted space amongst the Trail's users.
It's important!

    As for Earl being disallowed an on-Trail hostel, I'm split on that. Earl
certainly deserved one and the structure was already there. On the other
hand, the corridor is supposed to be a wild place and Earl could have served
as an example for that by contributing to the cause. After all, if Earl were
allowed to build up the corridor, why couldn't others? My question to the NPS
supervisor would be: when you were coming down on Earl for trying to have a
hostel, what were you doing to the condo developers building on the edge of
the narrow corridor in Pennsylvania and New York? Just a thought...

     (Please stay On Topic!)

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---