[at-l] Hike Report DWG->HR Day 7

Friday May 3

I have clear and windy skies this morning. I also have evidence of a
mistake I made.

I left my collected litter pile near the edge of the shelter last
night. I heard noise about midnight and saw the eyes and face of a
raccoon. Even after quickly rearranging things, I find this morning a
chewed up pot cozy, made from remnants of a pad my boxer pup had
destroyed.

I back tracked to Cat Rocks for the view. Cat Rocks and Pallisades
Rocks were bypassed by a blue blaze as the rocks north of the border
should be. I didn't see NYC or Greenwood lake, but it was a good view
in any case.

I saw my first person about 9 AM running the trail while I adjusted ny
backpack. He was a bit of an elderly elf, claiming it was his first
time in these parts. He disappeared as quickly as he had arrived.

Fitzgerald Falls are great except for the litter. Wildcat Shelter was
covered in litter, but this place is worse, probably due to the close
road. There are numerous excellent "stealth" campsites up top, but I
stayed in a good place last night.

My hand hurts and my third finger is stiff.

I finally saw NYC from Mombasha High Point, probably only about 35
miles away. Even with a distant haze, I try a picture.

At West Mombasha Rd, a pink sign points for a deli 1/2 miles west while
the Databook says Grocery 0.6 miles east. East is up hill and a poor
roadwalk, so westward ho! A lady in her bath robe (11AM) points me just
a bit further to Bentley's North - a "country deli."

He has it all: hiker grub, hot sandwiches, juice, privy, phone cards
and payphone. I can't read the card well after days out of glasses.
After a bit of work, I get calls to Liz and Martha. Re-entry starts as
Liz reminds me of real world obligations. Martha scolds me as being
irresponsible. They have given me my phone numbers and mailed my
clothes to Bear Mtn. Bridge Motel - everything I had asked and more.

I was three miles along before remembering the need to verify
reservation at Bear Mtn. Bridge Motel. I'll find out tommorrow if this
was a big mistake.

This is a long walk today, with challenges of Agony Grind, Lemon
Squeezer and others. Agony Grind is mild. Hippie Longstocking gave good
advice to put away trekking poles and simply walk through. It was
fairly mild compared to Mt. Albert in NC.

Lemon Squeezer is just a "head game." Go into the crack in the rock,
see it is too small to pass, take off pack, drag it thru, deal with the
next wall of rock, realize sunglasses are gone, unload and scoot down
the hill, find glasses and run back uphill and keep going.

Fingerboard shelter was the goal. There are excellent stealth options
passed up, particularly for those with hammocks. There was a great deal
of water running in streams and on the path. I got to the shelter just
before sundown and find a clean empter shelter with no register. There
is even a load of prepared firewood, dry and awaiting a light.

The fireplace works well to dry boots, clothes and me. Well after dark
as I finish supper and fail at an attempt to bear bag, I hear a call.
"Hey Mister! Are you using that shelter?"

He was the phalanx of a Boy Scout troop that saunter down toward a
campsite, try to erect borrowed tents in the dark, rebuff my
invitations to the shelter and generally have good fun. They are
preparing for merit badges based on a 10 mile hike. I share my maps
with the leaders, suggesting they make a loop down the Long Path and
treat the kids to the Lemon Squeezer as they start to return up the AT.
Very nice folks from New City, NY.

My supper of freeze dried lasagna was far better than I expected. I
hung my food bag in the shelter and had no problems. While there are
some small shards of broken glass, this place is very clean compared to
other areas of NY.

OrangeBug