Re[2]: [at-l] cola cans

"...I'd  suggest that denatured alcohol and methanol are much more accessible to
hikers  than  isopropanol.  The local 7/11, country deli, general store and auto
parts  store  all carry it in a variety of forms, such as paint solvent and fuel
dryer.  The automotive brands have the added benefit of a container that is very
easy  to  identify  by  shape,  contains  warnings of the contents and is easily
replaced.  A  "one  hot meal per day" person could do well with 16 oz. for about
7-8  meals - along with a pot cozy to continue cooking once the flames die out."
reports OB

I'd  suggest  a wood-burning Zip stove. The fuel is non toxic (unless you choose
poison ivy twigs) free, and weighs nothing if you choose to collect it near your
campsite.

The  stove and battery needed to power it, weighs about 17 ounces. You will need
a  double  A  battery every week or so, depending on how elaborate meals you may
choose.

No  stove  on the trail is more versatile, cheap, or easy. It does require a bit
of  a  learning  curve -- about on a par with the learning curve of a tenderfoot
Boy Scout, age 11, having to figure out how to light an outdoor fire for a merit
badge, 30 years ago. (Do Scouts do such things anymore?)

Regardless,  a Zip Stove is environmentally, aesthetically and socially an ideal
trail choice.

Weary