[at-l] cola cans

The problem with isopropanol - rubbing alcohol - is that it has
significant amount of water, making it a far sootier and cooler flame.
Denatured alcohol is toxic - as the substances added to the alcohol to
make it nonpotable are pretty nasty. Yet I don't know why anyone would
be likely to get a significant amount on skin or be at risk when
handling it with reasonable caution. Heck, white gasoline has
toxicities and rubbing alcohol can make you go blind.

I'd suggest that denatured alcohol and methanol are much more
accessible to hikers than isopropanol. The local 7/11, country deli,
general store and auto parts store all carry it in a variety of forms,
such as paint solvent and fuel dryer. The automotive brands have the
added benefit of a container that is very easy to identify by shape,
contains warnings of the contents and is easily replaced. A "one hot
meal per day" person could do well with 16 oz. for about 7-8 meals -
along with a pot cozy to continue cooking once the flames die out.

After seeing a few styles of stoves, I suspect that essentially any
open metal container can do a pretty good job. I've made and taught
Photon stoves with a series of small holes, but find the TinCanMan
stoves with a huge opening is simple and just as effective - and easier
to fill and light. The shoe polish can stoves look at least as useful.
I suspect that the most important/difficult task involves finding the
right pot support at the right height from the stove.

Bill...