[at-l] expolding stoves and stuffed packs!!

Usually, it is a great idea to pack about a week ahead, and to camp in
the backyard one night to make sure you have everything and to test the
equipment. You might wish to sit down and write a pack list, and
consider posting it.

Going stoveless is usually not a problem this time of year with other
means to find food the doesn't require cooking.

It sounds as if you have a Whisperjet stove, which does require some
training to start. First, you pressurize it and open it up to allow
only enough gas to wet the bottom bowl. Turn off the fuel. Light the
bottom bowl for a small little flame that will heat the rest of the
stove. Since this is you first time, let the flame die out.
Immediately, open up the fuel and you will hear a hiss of now vaporized
gas as it hits the heated stove. Light the stove at the top burner. No
explosion and not singed eyebrows!

These are reliable but heavy stoves. You have the time and the money to
go buy a couple of colas, metal (not duct tape) muffler repair tape,
and denatured alcohol. In 30 minutes you will have an alcohol stove
that weighs much less and works quite well. You can still do damage to
yourself with it, as I can testify to.

Enjoy your hike! We look forward to your report. I hope to finish
posting mine this holiday weekend.

Bill...