[at-l] Hiking with ADD (hyperactivity)

If anything the hike and the healthier foods should help him considerably.
The hard part will be keeping him focused.  Plan for a decent amount of
mileage.  There also may be times he doesn't seem to want to hike, and that
is fine.  use that time for exploration (although try to maintain some type
of outdoor ethic and don't let him just go turning over logs and rocks
especially in the sections where snakes are prevalent.  Be sure to also
allow for some time of reflection for him during the day sometime.  Your
going to have to feel this out somewhat, but find a nice spot, with some
nice views or views of wildlife etc.  As for the Ritalin.  Chances are he is
taking it to help calm him down in school.  So he will most likely to be
calmer throughout the day, and a little more active towards the end.  Watch
him you'll know.  Plan your harder parts or longer parts during his most
active time.  the hiking should settle him down abit for the evening.  I
hiked with ADD (Not exactly the same as ADHD), and found that hiking was a
great relief.  Away from the craziness of the world, the junk food and into
the world of serenity and beauty.  The advantage I had was that I was out
for 6 months, which gave me plenty of time to allow the changes to take
place.  Good luck!!
__

T - "Semper Fidelis" - |O|

Todd "M&M" Ricker
GA>ME AT99

ICQ: 24455973
AOL/AIM: MMATGA2ME99

www.chrysalisnyac.com NYAC "Son Seekers" Chrysalis.  Forums, schedules,
applications, etc
To open soon ... www.trail-life.com  Home of the Long Distance Backpacker.
Discussion groups, articles, stories, trail info, and trail news.  Please
feel free to leave suggestions or comments.