[at-l] Knot Tip

another good read if you are interested in knots for outdoor usage is

one of the Chapman's nautical guides

Knots by Brion Toss
(yes it is spelt with an O )

for about 15 bucks

it has a few great knots that i use regularly when backpakcing only becasue
i know  how to use them and they are useful. i got along jsut fine with out
them but they make life nicer.

to name them
Constrictor - used to perminately bind things together

Rigger's Rolling hitch - real nice for tent guy lines (makes them able to
adjust length with out any added doohicky)

Bowline - a knot that rarely ever comes undone when under tension but with
the flick of a loop it fall apart(but you can not acidentally pull on
anothign to release it)

a figure eight knot  - that you can use that when tied into a bight (loop)
acts as a knot that jsut will not slip out.  i think climbers use this knots
as the anchor knot or some such (but io know almost nothgin about climbing)
this may be the same as the hennesssy knot or that is my guess

and many many more and how to use them and when not to use them even
explains how to tie your shoes so the knot wont keep comgin out (i know lots
of peopelt hat dont know how to tie their shoes properly)

wisperlight

> I don't own a hammock so I can't speak to the "Hennessy figure 8 knot",
but I've always had great luck with the mooring hitch when I need to hold a
heavy load and also have the knot release easily.  It's a cinch to tie and
even quicker to untie.

> Rather than try to describe it, I've scanned a page from the book by Cliff
Jacobs in the basic essentials series called knots for the outdoors.

> It's a great book (which I just decided to review for backpack gear test)
with all sorts of good info on ropes, knots, and their uses.

> Anyway, enough of the sales pitch, if you're interested in seeing the knot
and how it's tied, click here: