[at-l] Longing& intro

Since you are relatively new to the list, you probably don't know the history on a lot of us. I'm also a single Mom of 3 kids, 18, 16, and 5 year old.  My Mom had cancer in '97, and after a successful operation and chemo, she had a second chance at life. We just didn't know how long that chance would last. We decided to plan for a thru in 2000, because she wanted to do this so much, and we were afraid if we waited until Cassy was older (the now 5 yr old) then it would be too late.  She was also a member of this list.  She was still building up strength when we started planning, and when she went on her first few hikes, and her learning process of backpacking was a frequent source of amusement (goodhearted, of course) on the list. (I enjoy going back to the archives and reading her posts about the purse, and the answers) Almost everyone was extremely supportive in that time, and she got to go to Trail Days and the Gathering in '98. She made some wonderful friends here, and found the encouragement and information we needed to plan our hike. We also took a lot of flak about about leaving Cas - but her Daddy is a wonderful one, and he was looking forward to having her for 6 months, and had planned to meet us frequently along the Trail.

Mom had a recurrence in February '99, and passed away July 4th of that same year.

So when people say they want to do a thru, but wonder if it's the right time - all I can say is, it may be the ONLY time. If you have the dream, and opportunity knocks - answer the door.

Red