[at-l] La Nina So Far

   As far as I can tell, the La Nina is trending on the wet side so far. This
is not true for all regions though. The good news is that the fear of a few
months back has been relieved by weekly rains to the drought stricken NE. AT
springs should be running normally according to their regular seasonal flows.
The worst case scenario has not come to be for 2002 hikers so far.

    Bailing out the AT has been a hot spot in the Midwest between Missouri
and Indiana were descending Canadian fronts have stalled against humid Gulf
air causing a frontal border which forms Low pressure systems that ride up
towards the east along it. This has resulted in floods for the Midwest and
parts of the Appalachians. The same type of system that caused some heavy
rains and a 1/2 inch average in the NE this monday will happen again later
this week bringing more rain. As in recent years, a pattern seems to be set
up and holding. This one is wet so far.

   A few months ago the NY reservoirs were at 49%. Now they are 62%. Long
term deficit is still 18 inches...

    A sudden stop in this pattern could still produce a hike affecting
drought this summer. Keep your fingers crossed.

    In south Florida we are in a drought and have experienced above average
temperatures. We have already matched our 96* high from last summer. The Gulf
is at 86* and almost 10* warmer than average. We could have a bad hurricane
year that could bode well for drought relief up north...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---