From: Orange Bug [mailto:orangebug74@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 6:08 AM
To: Jan Leitschuh
Cc: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] Longing

Oh yes, there are lots of right and wrong answers on this one. This is
a recurrent theme of how to deal with choices, relationships and the
selfishness inherent in hiking for long distances. Selfishness is not
necessarily a bad thing, as it can provide one the opportunity to learn
more about themself and consequently about how they interact with
others.

One needs to evaluate if the choice for a long distance hike is simply
a binge, or is the path less traveled. Is it like the difficult choice
of disciples or an easy way for someone abandoning other
responsibilities? If only the choice was as clearly defined as that,
but I suspect for all of us it is quite faded into the gray regions.

Bill...