[at-l] AT Centerline data

I just forwarded the URL for the centerline data to a design firm
working on repairs to the Mt. Greylock auto road (AKA Rockwell Rd and
Notch Rd). Although the plans call for no widening and keeping within
the rustic style (CCC) of the existing road, I was a bit nervous when
their planning maps showed the AT paralleling the road for about a
mile on the way to the summit (which it doesn't).

Other uses for the CL data are to assist developers (antenna
speculators in particular) to know if their proposed project might
impact the AT.  Currently there is an unwritten agreement between the
ATC and wireless telephone providers to notify ATC when a tower is
proposed near the AT.  Negative impacts to a National Scenic Trail is
one of the few things that a community can use to disallow a permit
for a cell tower.  For instance, they can't deny the permit based on
the fact that the thing is ugly or will negatively affect property
values--because the tower is a part of a "necessary" utility (as per
the Telecommunications Act).

Also recently we have forwarded data to our local electric utility so
they know where the AT crosses their transmission lines (or visa
versa).  We had an incident of a little overzealous tree clearing
along one right of way that prompted the initial communication.  Now
they have the AT on their maps and have photos of white and yellow
blazed trees and boundary markers in the instruction books issued to
their crews and sub-contractors.

Sometimes technology is actually a good thing.

Cosmo