[at-l] Future AT hiker...

In a message dated 5/13/02 4:21:31 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
rickboudrie@hotmail.com writes:

> I might as well have been hiking with blinders on.  Doing some reading on
> these kinds of things before a through hike would have been wonderful, and
> would have been far more valuable to me than a whole lot of stuff that some
> deem to be important.

Not having done a thru yet, still plodding along as a sectioner - I can say
that I've never heard that said here before, and it should have been.  The
history of the Trail, and the places you pass, are so much a part of being on
the Trail, even just for a week, or a weekend, let alone a thru, that it's
hard to believe that hasn't been discussed more in depth before here.  I
remember hiking in the Smokies over New Years one year, and we weren't on the
AT - but the Trail we *were* on had some history, and we accidently went the
wrong way and ended up at this gravesite.  After I was back home, I searched
the net and found out the story behind it, and it was really awesome.  You
have touched on a great, and serious, aspect of hiking.  Of being where you
are - and knowing where that is, and what came before.

Red

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---