[at-l] Future AT hiker...

Regarding, charts and averages and seminars.  Regarding expert advise.
Being told the things you need to know...

Some people may require this, but I suspect most don't.  Personally I would
recommend reading something simple and straight forward like Jim Owen's
"Through Hiking Papers".  They can be found on the Web.

Then I would resign myself to the reality that hiking is not brain surgery.
Most people can figure things out pretty well without much effort.  In my
case it took memories from a slide show some years earlier, a backpacking
book, understanding the basics, and about two weeks hammering out the
details in my spare time.  Since you need to learn the mechanics of
thru-hiking, you tend to learn them pretty fast.

Where I screwed up was in not learning about the Trail itself.  Nor of the
natural history along it.  If I had a year to prepare, thats where I would
expend my energies.  I would know what a spruce grouse was before I stmbled
upon one.  I would understand the history of Harper's Ferry before bypassing
the town (It used to be on a blue blaze).  I would have read something about
the CCC that built the Trails in Shenandoa National Park rather than just
appreciating the grade.  I would read up on why all the helicopters buzz
around that area rather than just guessing it had something to do with
"governemnt stuff".  I would understand a bit about the geology I was
walking on, and about the families whose abandoned homesteads I would pass.
I would know why the hills in Palmerton didn't look right, and I would why
some worms are special in GSNP.  I would know wich animal has shit that
looks like maccaroni, and the this difference between a fax scat and dog
crap.  I would know about Benedict Arnold (?) in Maine and about Civil War
battles.  I would know which planets can be seen from earth. And the
difference between trillium and indian pipes. I would know about how the
Trail in the Whites came to be, and how our ancestors appreciated the beauty
of those very same mountains.  I would know that dear snort at night.

I might as well have been hiking with blinders on.  Doing some reading on
these kinds of things before a through hike would have been wonderful, and
would have been far more valuable to me than a whole lot of stuff that some
deem to be important.

Rick B