[at-l] Religious meanings

You might want to read "On the Beaten Path" by Robert Rubin, the current
Appalachian Trailways News editor. It offers a good treatment of the
pilgrimage theme, especially from a mid-life crisis perspective.

As you might expect, there have been numerous studies and surveys of
long-distance hikers and there are as many reasons for hiking as there
are hikers. The spiritual journey theme comes up often. For me at least,
early in my series of section hikes, the destination became less
important than the process, at least until I started to feel the
magnetism of Katahdin.

Just scanning the trailnames of thru-hikers gives you a feeling for the
spiritual intent. I've met Apostles, Pilgrims, Prophets, and even John
3:16's as well as a Zen monk.

Good luck!

Tinman