[at-l] Day one Hike DWG->Hudson River

After several errors of planning and communication (all of them mine), Liz
let me off at the Delaware Water Gap information center at 11:30AM 4/27. A
black cat had crossed our path as we took our daughter to a commuter train
to catch a museum tour as part of her school work. This was not a good
beginning to a hike.

I found water easy to find at the info center and later at a pump in the
parking lot north of I-80. My pack felt heavy, probably with too much food.

I met a cop from Queens, with a church your groups and helped motivate them
to Sunfish Pond. I filtered water for them, although the guys - cop
included - refused the idea of getting more water to carry or refilling
their sports drink bottles.

The rocks around Sunfish Pond are as harsh as the area is pretty. I'd hate
to meet them in rain. The water is very good from the southern glacier
pond. There are a lot of people visiting up here on a beautiful early
spring Saturday.

The walk along the ridge line is spectacular with views into New Jersey and
Pennsylvania. There were a few rocky areas and climbs along smoothed rock
along the spine of the ridge. There was a neat view of a reservoirs to the
right of the trail. Several were down in the valley and one up on the crest
of a ridge with huge earthworks holding it in place. Apparently it is an
electric facility, generating electricity as water goes top to valley, then
pumped at night back to the top. There are cell phone and microwave
antennas and towers, but so far my sense of space and freedom are intact.

My legs feel good. I reached Mohican Outdoor Center about 5PM. The price
quoted was $21/night for a cabin or bunk. This was a hikers and member's
rate. I picked up a plastic bottle and decided to head about 2 miles north
for Catfish Fire Tower for the night, knowing there are "kids" camping
there. A lady walking into MOC observes me and greets me "You look dressed
for a hike!"

The climb back up the ridge was hard. At 7:30 no tower is seen, but I put
into the ledge for a level campsite overlooking New Jersey. I get my chores
done including eating and sleep, although surprised to find a hole in my
Nomad tent on the back side. A bit of silicon sealant and patch of silnylon
repairs it well. Clouds gather for a predicted rain on Sunday.

I did 12 miles today. New Jersey is certainly different from what I imagined.

OrangeBug