[at-l] Re: Earl Shaffer

"...If  Earl  didn't  want a shelter (or anything else) named after him while he
was  alive,  then  it  seems to me if would not be considerate to name something
after him now that he's gone. " claims a participant in this list.

 I  know  of no evidence that Earl did not want things named after him, while he
 was alive.

 Rather,  he  sought  a  simple, primitive trail. What he objected to was naming
 things after him that violated that vision.

 Many  of  us  agree  with Earl. We disagree with the trends that are creating a
 civilized  trail  --  rather  than the wild trail that many of the founders and
 Earl had sought.

 If  we  want  to respect the goals that Earl Shaffer professed, we should avoid
 superficial  answers  and  think carefully about the things he believed in. His
 was  not a vision of technological progress. Rather he lived in a converted hen
 house,  without  electricity  except at the insistence of his family during the
 past year or so.

 He wanted simple things on the trail, not civilized things.

 Weary