[at-l] Memorial ideas

I just wrote out my check to send to the ATC. I sent a note saying the
money is in honor of Earl's life and contribution to the AT. I don't
guess this is a breach of the fund raiser but I thought I'd ask. I was
busy the few weeks before my spring hike and I really didn't follow the
fund raiser thread, other than it was an effort to refocus all of us on
the desired tone and topics of our List. I may have missed something. If
I did, I'll make it up.

I had to go by the post office today and somebody was buying "Porky Pig"
commemorative stamps. I'm not taking a shot at pop culture but why does
Porky deserve his own stamp? Elvis I can understand. Seriously, it got me
to wondering if it is possible to get a commemorative stamp to honor
Earl.

I'm not a political activist so I may be way behind the curve on
understanding what it takes to get a grassroots kind of movement afoot
which is aimed at honoring a folk hero. Would a stamp be a worth
memorial? Has anyone heard of any budding efforts to build some memorial
to the life and contribute of our friend?

I was told once that there had been an Earl Shaffer Shelter but he ask
that his name be removed from it. I wish there were an Earl Shaffer
Shelter, I think that would be fitting. Does anyone know if this story is
true or if it is urban legend?  Hopeful

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.