Alcohol stoves (was [at-l] LONGISH, Trail Magic ,etc.)

well, I've had a good slug of wild turkey tonight, so I thought I would
stir the environmental pot a little . . . seems to me some thought could
be given, at least after a stiff drink, to the following:

1)  White gas is a renewable fuel generated from the sun also; it's just
a matter of timing on the "renewable" definition! :)

2)  The primary emission from a zip stove is not CO2, but rather
particulates - the very same mess that more and more studies are linking
to nasty breathing diseases ranging from asthma to lung cancer, etc.

3)  I personally would hate to have to rely on a zip stove for winter
months, or even spring months up at high elevations . . .

4)  When it warms up a bit, the real environmental alternative is not to
cook warm meals; there is no mutritional reason to do so . . . thus it
all then becomes a matter of firing up various polluting devices for
one's selfish pleasure desires . . . and thus becomes a bit of a
Clintonian matter of splitting hairs [ahem] as to which polluting device
one uses to assuage those selfish, hedonistic desires! :)

5)  I personally went for five months on the AT with an 11 oz MSR white
gas fuel bottle, and only refilled it 3 times . . . just simply did not
use my stove very often - that's the real enviro answer - quit cooking
so much! :)

thru-thinker

[sloppily running and weaving to avoid the slings and arrows of
outrageous fortune!]