[at-l] The trees in Harrison

Last winter nearly all the tree along the ridge we live on were cut down.
I know the folks have to have a place to live but I was still sad to see
the forest torn down. There is land elsewhere that could have been
reclaimed. Well, there's no point in going there.

As the winter ended I was worried because there were noticeably fewer
birds at my feeders. Now that spring has come to the Tennessee Valley, it
appears that the survivors are finding their way to my yard. For several
years I have had blue bird boxes but no tenants. This year I've seen a
blue bird family in the one box I least expected to every be occupied.
They seem to prefer houses that sit in open areas, like a pasture. Well,
I mounted a box on the side of a tree that sits in our yard. There is
open area around the tree but the tree itself has many branches that hide
the box most of the summer.

Much to my great surprise and joy, I have been see Rose Breasted Gross
Beaks at my feeder and the one next door, two males and three females.
These bird are certainly among the most beautiful in color, their song is
similar to the Robins. Normally their home is in the deep upland woods. I
guess now that their old home is a wasteland, they have been forced to
seek other accommodations.

I hope that everyone who as any available space will plant trees and put
up as many birdhouses and feeders as possible. I know that there must be
"progress" but too often development comes with only financial planning
and little, if any concern for the creatures of the fields and woods. It
is a small thing, in effort, time and money to put up birdhouses and
feeders. The rewards are legion.  There are lots of excellent "how to"
books on the subject. One of my personal favorites is Attracting Birds To
Your Backyard, by Sally Roth  ISBN 0-87596-790-6 Hopeful

ps How long do it take to dehydrate a cat?

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.