[at-l] End of an era

I am sure That, by now, most of you have heard about Earl's passing.  I =
thank my dear friend Daria for calling me before I saw this on the list. =
 Earl meant a great deal to me.  I will always treasure the last time, =
at the PA RUCK, when he sang and played his guitar.  The thing that =
touched me most of all was that he sang Irish lullabies and songs that =
my mother used to sing to me as a child.  I had never heard anyone else =
sing them and my mother died a long, long time ago. I was very surprised =
that there were so few people there that stayed and listened to Earl.  =
There was a seminar going on and more folks seemed more interested in =
that. Very sad in my opinion.  But my husband, Dutch Treat, Ready and =
Spur and a few others were enthralled and urged him to sing longer!  He =
seemed so happy that day.  I felt a special connection to Earl.

Last year, at Trailfest, I was also privileged to see the slides Earl =
took during his first hike back in the 40s.  His voice was so soft that =
Dutch Treat went and got his amplifier so he could be heard.  We went to =
a dinner after that at the Hostel and had the opportunity to hear more =
of Earl's stories after that.

We have kept in touch with John Shaffer and his wife.  Earl really =
seemed at peace and, as a former Hospice nurse myself, I was so happy to =
hear that he had Hospice care during his last weeks.  Daria had offered =
to drive me to see Earl on a weekend soon.  Guess that trip will not be =
made, but I will forever treasure the gift that Earl left us and always =
feel his footsteps along the trail.

Hummingbird  =20

multipart/alternative
  text/html