[at-l] The Holiest Springer Approach

In a message dated 5/1/2002 1:56:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
papa_bear_nyc@yahoo.com writes:

> I think you omitted the "purest" and certainly the "coolest" if not
> "holiest" approach ever done: That by Robie "Jumpstart" Hensley on March 9,
> 1986, who parachuted from a small plane and landed close to the plaque
> marking the start of the trail.  Family members were waiting on top of
> Springer with his backpack.

     ***   Don't want to nitpick, but I met Jumpstart on my hike. I believe
he told me that he jumped into the tiny field by the parking lot which is a
pretty impressive doing considering the mountain's height and small degree of
error permitted. The plaque area would probably involve some nasty scrapes or
broken bones. We won't go into what some Trail purists would have thought
about the spectacle part...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---