[at-l] pittsburgh 730am 05/01/02

pittsburgh 730am 05/01/02

hump day.  we hiked over little hump and hump today.  two very exciting balds, with great views.  from little hump you can see hikers climbing hump - little ants with backpacks...

hump is fenced in, and is a cattle pasture.  the bald at the summit was bovine-less, but many longhorn steers populated a portion of the trail just north.  hikers with farm experience stayed on the trail.  us urban types, without the benefit of 'cow psychology 101', took a little detour around the beasts.  we all survived<g>...

the descent of hump to 19E is five miles long, and fatiguing.  some of it is very reminiscent of pennsylvania rock hopping.  there was some grumbling from the troops<g>.  everyone wanted to get to 19E and to elk park for a restaurant meal.  most everyone also intended to spend the night indoors at the times square motel (ah, a mattress and flush privy<g>) my friend, peter pan, was at 19E to pick me up, thus ending this portion of my hike.  peter pan also ran four carloads of hikers to elk park.  he is a supreme trail angel...

after a shower, peter pan, timmy, and i went to the mellow mushroom in boone north carolina, and had us some pizza and salads and bread sticks and cokes.  what a treat for a weary hiker.  peter pan and timmy know all too well<g>...

i'll be posting from the shenandoahs in a couple of days, hiking again with yakdung and granny...

pittsburgh

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.