Re[4]: [at-l] Cleaning poles

"Bob C." wrote:
>I  don't  want  to  belabor the damage Lekis cause. I think it is immense
>-- not
>individually,  but  with  thousands of hikers using the devices --
>especially in the south -- but I know that many disagree.

Bob -
I think the key word here is "think".

I don't have a hardened opinion about this - but I haven't seen evidence of
the kind of damage that you're talking about.  I haven't heard any reliable
(or even unreliable) reports of damage in the South on the AT, and I don't
see that kind of damage in the mid-Atlantic States where I hike - either on
the AT or on the other PA/MD/VA/WV trails that we hike and maintain.  Nor
have I heard any reports of that kind of damage with regard to the European
trail systems where these hiking poles have been used for about 30 years
(they've been popular in this country for less than 10 years).

Now if you have positive evidence of that kind of damage, I'd appreciate
hearing about it.  Photos are wonderful evidence.

In the meantime, anklebear makes a couple good points - that a pair of Lekis
(or equivalent) allow a lot of people to hike who otherwise would be unable
to do so.  They mitigate a lot of hiking injuries (save the knees) - and
they're a part of many of todays lightweight tent/tarp systems.

An additional point is that they're a lot easier to transport for those who
fly.  We'll be in Montana this summer - we won't be driving - and I'd much
rather have the Lekis folded and stowed in the pack than try to get your
alder hiking stick through security.  The security people understand, even
if you don't, that your alder hiking pole is a weapon.

OTOH - I do own several wooden hiking poles - and have used them
extensively.  But, like any other piece of equipment, there are times and
places where they're not appropriate.

Walk softly no matter what kind of stick you carry,
Jim